Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vermont Mud Toe-Up Socks




Hot off the needles are a pair of handspun socks, knit from the toe up using Cat Bordhi's upstream architecture. The wool is from Grafton Fibers Colorworks club and was spun in two batches, one for each sock, and then navajo plied. My spinning was not very consistent and one half of one of the balls was quite a lot larger in grist. Both socks started off at 60 stitches around, but when I got to the second sock heel, I had to decrease to 56 stitches and go up a needle size. I bound off both with an i-cord bindoff of 3 stitches done with a larger needles size and grafted the ends together - not well - but functional.

4 comments:

Joansie said...

Love the socks. Being a Vermonter, I can appreciate the name.

Suzy said...

Is this the handspun you have done on your boat? Impressive! I love the colors and you did a beautiful job matching the two socks!
I had a hard time casting off my toe up socks to get a large enough opening until I discovered a YouTube explanation of how to do a loose needle sewn edge. It worked quite well I haven't heard of an i-cord binding. I'll have to look it up.
Lake is now 65... some have tried but I haven't gone in yet. We've barely used the pool! Have rain almost every day.

Home Elevators Victorville said...

Great blog, I enjoyed reading it

Home Elevators Victorville said...

Appreciate youu blogging this