Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Earring Trio

I purchased a light box earlier this week and I have been inspired by the quality of photos I am getting with it.  I am still in the viney tendril phase as you can see by the latest earrings.  I used pure copper on every bit of the pieces and the dangles are held on by balled copper head pins which I also made in the torch.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Another Version of Fold Formed Necklace

I made a similar version of this necklace last year, and regrettably sold it.  I didn't really want to let it go, but I did.  I've been thinking of it ever since so I decided to try to make another one.  There were two problems though, the first being the copper folded piece.  I had no idea how I made it but luckily I did have a picture.  So I just started in playing with it.  It has a similar feeling to it but isn't quite as nice as the original.  The bead was the second problem.  But I felt confident that I could fabricate something similar with polymer clay.  When it was baked, I added some brown acrylic paint, dabbed on with a paper towel and rubbed off.  It was a real mess, but I'm happy with the final result.  The necklace 'chain' is made from copper wire pieces balled up in the flame and then forged flat.  I connected everything together with brass jump rings and a brass swan clasp.

Here is a picture of the original piece.  I'm still thinking about the little brass tendril poking out from the bead.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Folded Copper Pendant

Just playing with the 24 gauge copper sheeting and folding it and dapping it until the little raised areas started to break away from the pendant but were still firmly attached.  Then I carefully raised them a bit for more texture.  I should call it 'The Hanging Chads' necklace!!  More beads from Beth Singleton.  I have so enjoyed working with them.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Silver and Copper Ringed Bracelet

I've been going back through my old Step by Step Wire magazines for some inspiration and found lots to interest me.  This bracelet started out by having to make fused fine silver rings which was a little bit of a challenge for me, since I haven't done any fusing or soldering in quite a while, and never got adept at it anyway.  But I managed but then ran out of the 14g fine silver.  I substituted some copper washers and just love the result.  These are all handmade lampwork beads, most of which are from the torch of Beth Singleton on etsy.  It's a fun and funky piece.

Saturday, January 19, 2013

More Wire Earrings

These are similar to previous earrings I made but created with sterling silver 18g wire.  The beads are handmade lampwork beads from Beth Singleton from etsy.  I like how they turned out.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Copper Spiral Necklace

This was intended to be a bracelet, but the scale came out wrong, even though I slavishly followed the directions.   I liked where it was going though, and just continued on until it was done.   The beads are from the daughter-in-law of a spinner friend and were bought from her etsy shop  They are oh, so, lovely and are beautifully made.

I used 16 and 18 gauge raw copper to make this lovely piece.  The directions are in the latest copy of Step by Step Wire Jewelry magazine.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Scale Matters

I've completed my last chain maille project for a while.  The last piece was this very small scale teal and sterling romanov bracelet, nestled next to the larger carnelian stone bracelet.  The teal version, uses really tiny rings of 21g silver.  They were so small that I had to use a large magnifiying glass to see to open and close the rings.  If I had seen the rings in person, rather than ordering them online, I would not have chosen to purchase them, but it did make a very beautiful piece.  I thought that I would never finish it however.  But I love it, of course.

Monday, January 07, 2013

Romanov Weave

I made a similar bracelet a few years ago, with some bright pink crystals in the center, and my older daughter took if for her own.  So I thought I'd make another one for myself, but with carnelian 6mm beads in the center.  The rings are 18g sterling with 16g for the larger connecting rings.  It's a weighty and beautiful piece.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

More Earrings

I've been having lots of fun making earrings today.  The copper ones are inspired by Sally Stevens, one of my favorite wire artists. I used 18 g copper wire throughout, even for the ear wires.  In my opinion, 20 g does not hold up well enough for hard use.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Matching Earrings

I had a few components left over from yesterday's necklace, so I made matching earrings.

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Christmas Acorn Necklace

My daughter gave me this gorgeous handmade lampwork acorn bead for Christmas and today I fabricated this necklace.  I already had the gemstone beads and from the price I paid which was still on the string, they are some pretty special beads.  They also match perfectly, which is why I chose them from my stash.  The links are made from 18g copper which was balled up on the ends in the flame and loosely wrapped around itself.  I used 14g for the acorn head pin and 12g for the ring upon which it sits.  My idea was for viney tendril types of things.  I'm thinking that I'm not 100% happy with the ring which supports the acorn.  It doesn't quite look viney enough but for now, I'm happy with it.  I'm choosing not to patina it with liver of sulfer.